January 2016

Property Taxes Total $525,315

Happy New Year!

Team SEMO – the employees of SEMO Electric Cooperative – appreciates the opportunity to deliver safe, reliable and low cost electricity to your home, farm and business. As a nonprofit co-op, our daily goal for 2016 will continue to be to work safe, be tidy and be prudent in serving you – the co-op’s member-owners. Best wishes to you and your family in 2016.

Safety

Team SEMO has worked the past 24 months – or roughly 198,700 hours – with zero lost time accidents. The “zero” is significant. Zero means Team SEMO didn’t miss a day of work because of unsafe acts. Zero means daughters, sons, moms, dads, aunts, uncles and grandparents made it home safely at the end of each day. Safety is SEMO’s first job and will continue to be in 2016. If you see a member of Team SEMO, tell them “thanks for working safe.”  

Member Survey                                         

TSE Services, in coordination with SEMO Electric and Touchstone Energy, has initiated a market research study to better understand how different generations and segments of electric cooperative members view their electric provider and how cooperatives can better communicate the value of cooperative membership.  Members of SEMO Electric will be randomly selected to participate in this telephone survey, so please help us better serve you by answering a few opinion questions if you are selected for the survey. Residential member telephone interviews will be made primarily during weeknights from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Weekend calling will be limited to Saturday only. No Sunday calling is permitted on this study. The survey is expected to last no more than 15 minutes.

2016 Budget

As a not-for-profit electric cooperative, Team SEMO works hard to contain costs and make prudent business decisions. Did you know approximately 67 percent of SEMO Electric’s annual operating budget is for wholesale electricity to deliver to thousands of homes, businesses and farms? Where’s the other 33 percent?  Similar to a vehicle that requires oil changes and safety inspections, SEMO’s complex delivery system – which includes about 65,000 poles – demands constant inspection, routine maintenance and tree trimming to keep the lights on 24/7/365. If you would like to learn more about how we operate, please call and arrange for a tour of the cooperative.

Property Taxes

With property taxes due, I thought you might be curious about the cooperative’s tax bill. SEMO Electric’s property taxes for 2015 totaled nearly $525,315. Since the co-op has roughly 2,600 miles of power lines and 16,000 meters, property taxes equate to about $202 per mile of line or $32 per meter.

Sean’s Shout-outs

Shout-outs to SEMO member-owners Paul Dirnburger, Fenton Goering, Tammar Gant, Leroy Holmes, Dean Hayes, Mark Smith, Greg Baker, Barbara Houck, Shirley Anderson, Tom Raffety, Pete Rost, Judy Riley and Debra Frala. Be smart. Act safe.

Recent Posts

November 2015 Concern for Community It was my pleasure to shine the light on SEMO Electric Cooperative’s members,...
Winter Storms This winter has certainly tested SEMO Electric Cooperative’s delivery system. We are never sure what Mother...
The Big Pumpkin A few weeks ago, my family traveled to my in-laws’ house near Deepwater, Mo., along Highway 13 between...
Portable Generator Safety Since the 2009 ice storm, the popularity of portable electric generators has resulted in many...
Beware of Scams Be aware. We have had some member-owners report receiving phone calls from individuals identifying...

Pages